whitewash

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dallas Quilt Show

I have been going to the Dallas Quilt Show for about 10 years. It always lands right around Spring Break in March. This year was really amazing especially since I had a few friends enter quilts. Mardy Cronister is the one who really got me interested in back-baste applique. I tried other techniques and was just going to give up on the process but she assured me I could do this. Mardy entered "Mardy's Birds in the Garden" that took 5 years to complete. It won a first prize award at the show and for good reason. It is just beautiful! I may never get a detailed project like this one finished but I am not afraid of the "A" word. I am currently working on two hand applique quilts.







I have known Jane Bayarena for about a year since we have been taking a quilting software class together. She is an amazing artist and quilter with a passion for original work. She is not afraid to make up a pattern and very much inspired by her travels. Her work is gorgeous!!



My favorite quilts involve applique and houses so I wanted to include this one from the show. It is made by Stephanie Hanson.





A quilt I would love to do someday is Lollypop Trees by Kim McLean. It is just wild and fun using lots of Kaffe Fassett fabrics.


There are tons more pictures I could post. I am way behind on blogging so hope to catch up in the next couple of weeks. I highly encourage everyone to attend a quilt show because pictures just do not do them justice. The quilting is as much as the art as is the piecing itself.

No comments: